Christmas Goodness 2010

A while back, it occurred to us that 8-bit video game graphics from classic Nintendo games would translate well into cross-stitch, which the Partner-in-Crime totally geeked out over. I have been a cross stitcher for over 20 years, so I figured I had the skills needed for such geekery.

Plus, when we mentioned this fact, that classic video game characters translate well into cross-stitch, to a certain brother-in-law of mine, he also totally geeked out and said, "You could totally do Mega Man!" Score! Christmas gift idea!

So, the Partner-in-Crime took some screen shots of Mega Man from his emulator and we charted them on graph paper. I matched the colors to some DMC embroidery floss and used 14-count Aida fabric in a light blue-green color (I don't remember the exact name of the shade). After stitching Mega Man in three different poses, I cut them apart to make them into patches. We used some basic quilter's cotton for the backing, fused some lightweight interfacing to that, and then did a tight zigzag stitch (like a satin stitch) to finish off.

For more nerdy stitchery info, we have found Sprite Stitch to be an invaluable resource!

For the second crafty Christmas gift, I made a Tiny Tote for my little niece who recently moved very far away to Arizona. A purse was one of her wish-list items, so I hunted around for a cute pattern and decided to go with the "Tiny Tote" from Sew What! Bags by Lexie Barnes.

I picked out a cute corduroy print for the main bag and some pink cotton for the handles. I also added a pink cotton lining to the bag, which is not part of the original instructions. I think unlined bags seem unfinished with their exposed seams and adding a lining was an easy addition. The finished size of the bag is approximately 7"x6", which is pretty tiny. I had to keep reminding myself that the tote was for a very small person!

Not as much crafty Christmas goodness this year from the Snicklefritzes, but we had fun with the little bit we did craft!

Comments

Anonymous said…
you should be a photographer the 8Bit pic of Mega Man is epic!!!