For a Dapper Young Man


So, the Partner-in-Crime and I are now Tante und Onkel Snicklefritz for the fifth time. This time around, though, we have an adorable little nephew.

Of course, the new nephew needed some crafty goodness from his aunt and uncle. I remembered seeing pictures of necktie onesies years ago on one of the various crafting sites I peruse on the interwebs, and I thought they were pretty awesome, but I never had an occasion to make any as I have only had nieces.

For these onesies, I bought a pack of plain white onesies (thanks, Target!) and found a basic pattern on the Superior Threads website. I did not follow the instructions meticulously, rather I used a similar method that I employed for the birthday onesies I made for his big sister a few years ago. I cut out the necktie pieces from some cotton fabric I had around the house that looked necktie-ish and then added some fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric to help keep the tie a little stiffer and let it stand out just a wee bit from the onesie.  (The pattern called for the use of freezer paper and batting, plus some Q-Tips and squirrels. I felt all that was unnecessary, so I kept the fuss down to cotton fabric and fusible interfacing.)

This time around I did use the Huskystar, as opposed to the hand-stitching method I used for the other onesies. This was simultaneously faster and more horrible than hand stitching. These onesies are made of stretchy, stretchy cotton and sized for 0-3 months. Little E's onesies were slightly bigger, sized for 12 months, and I thought those would be too small to finagle onto the Huskystar. I managed to work the little dude's onesies onto the machine, but there was some fighting the stretchiness and tininess of the onesies. A couple of the ties ended up askew, but Herr Snicklefritz pointed out that that's how neckties work.    

So, here's to the Shrinkiest of the Shrinky-Dinks! 

Welcome to the world, little doodle. :o)

Comments